Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New training plan and other race preparations

I have weened myself from tissues and Nyquil and am functioning as a healthy human being once again (as opposed to a sniffly zombie). I even went as far as to try running again on Saturday and made it 5.5 miles, thus renewing my confidence that I will be able to make it up to 13.1 miles by the beginning of May. I just needed to revise my training plan to adjust for over two weeks of not running.

I've heard a lot of rules about mileage increases, like the 10% rule, or sticking to one mile per week. I have adjusted that to what I think will be best for me. I've settled on increasing the total weekly mileage by one every week for three weeks, then have a cut down week before continuing to increase. Within that total weekly mileage, the long run will be increased by either one mile or a half mile each week.


After getting psyched up by making the schedule, I started some other race preparations, like looking into overnight accommodations and finding out about parking, shuttles, and spectator info, and now I'm excited all over again. I can't wait to go for some long runs again and enjoy the feeling of finishing strong after a long distance.

1 comment:

Chic Runner said...

That looks like my training plan. Love all the cross training and lower mileage. So many people get freaked out and up their miles way too fast! :) Hope it works out great for you!