Monday, April 6, 2009

A perfect day


Yesterday was a perfect spring day. The temperature was in the mid-60s, the sun was shining, and it just felt good to be outside. I took the Trek out to the trail with the intention of taking it for a 10-mile ride. Once I got on the trail, I thought that maybe I'd go a little farther, since it was so nice out. When I got to the spot at which I thought I'd turn around, I thought that I'd go a little further. When I got to that spot, I passed a woman on a horse, and I'd feel silly bothering her again by turning around right away, so I decided to go to the next road-crossing...and the next...and the next. I knew that every mile I continued would be re-traced on the way back, but I felt so good that I didn't want to turn around. I gradually downshifted and built up speed without tiring myself out. Every time I shifted, it was a little more difficult, but I found a rhythm each time. That's what I need with my running - to find a good rhythm at which the speed will come naturally.
My entire ride ended up being 17.7 miles. I rested completely today because I was exhausted, but I look forward to running tomorrow.

No comments: