Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Seeing improvement

Today was 50 degrees and rainy, but it was great for running. I did another hard, fast workout today, much like last week, and today the mile time was 7:43. Yes! More proof that I can run a mile in 8 minutes! The workout consisted of a half-mile jog on the treadmill, stretching, a mile in 8:52 on the treadmill, the 7:43 mile on the road, and an easy run back home in 9:46.
Something about the switch from treadmill to road makes running on the road feel so much easier. If I can trust the treadmill's calibration, I was running faster on the road, but it definitely seemed like it was with less effort. I feel so much freer outside than on the belt, like I'm propelling forward instead of trying to keep up with someone else's pace.
The combination of the treadmill and road running in one workout seems like it's great for my training. Both times that I've done it I've felt so good during and after the workout. I'll have to keep it up and decrease my times enough that I'll be able to break my PR even when the weather is warmer.

No comments: