Friday, May 1, 2009

April showers...wait, it's May

The rain kept me inside today for my run. I really enjoy running in the rain (that is, when it's warm out), but I didn't want to upset my dog (who has a totally irrational fear of the sound of rain) by leaving her home alone, so I went downstairs with the intention of walking on the treadmill and maybe doing a little resistance-band and weight training. I walked and ran on the treadmill for half a mile and stretched a bit. I started thinking about how I haven't done any speed work lately and thought back to my pace intervals on the track. The fact is, I was going too fast. My goal pace was 8 minutes per mile, but I was training as if that was my usual 5k pace. And I could never get used to running the 8-minute-mile pace on the track because I had such a difficult time estimating my pace and holding it. So I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be great if I could train my leg muscles to get used to that pace, so it would eventually come more easily?" Yes, I'm sure that sounds like a stupid question, because a moment later, I realized that I could just set the pace on the treadmill. If my simple mathematics skills are correct, I just have to set the treadmill to 7.5 miles per hour and go. So I did. I did 2 2-minute intervals and 1 1-minute interval at 7.5 mph and jogged at varying speeds in between. I hope to make the intervals longer and longer, so I'll get used to running for long periods at that speed. I don't know how often I'll be doing that, since I really prefer to run outside, but the next week is supposed to be rainy, so I should have lots of opportunities!

No comments: