Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bad signs

About a month ago, I wrote in this blog that "I was a little sore in places deep within my calves." That soreness never really went away, and now I'm starting to get really worried. I figured that I was working muscles and tendons that usually didn't get used and that it was good to strengthen them. One thing that seemed a little odd to me was that, although I had some sensations on both legs, there was a point on my left calf - that initial deep, sore spot - that has been tender to the touch. Now I'm feeling pain - not bad pain - but a feeling that something's not right in that spot as well as odd, shivery, shooting sensations and pulsations in both legs. I feel these things even when I'm sitting or laying down.

I am calling off all running for the time being. I do not want to end up like my running buddy with doctor's orders not to run for 4 months. Maybe it's nothing, but I'm afraid I may have done too much too quickly and might be developing a stress fracture or maybe already have one. Some time next week I'll make an appointment to see the general practitioner to see what he says.

At least I have some really exciting plans for the next few days that will preoccupy me from my possible injuries. It will be running of a completely different sort - I'm going with my dedicated support staff to Watkins Glen where he will run his mustang on the track there. It's not a race - it's what's called a "high-performance driving event" - in which the participants learn tips from professional drivers while having a lot of fun driving as fast as they can. He's been waiting for over a year for this, and I'm happy that it's finally here. Since I won't have any training to blog about, maybe I'll have a Watkins Glen report when I come back.

1 comment:

Chic Runner said...

Oh no! That is such a bummer. I will keep you in my thoughts and wish you speedy healing!