Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ice Ice Baby

This coming week, I'm going to bring my mileage down and rest for the holidays. Bring on the ice for my legs and the hot cocoa for my tummy!

Last Saturday, when I made my triathlon contestant video, I ran on the trail through some snow. Because I was talking for the video, I was feeling pretty tired and out of breath by the first mile, but I kept going, and by the end I felt strong and even that I could have gone a lot farther. I felt that it was a really great run.

Tuesday I went for a 2.5 mile run and, because it was well above freezing and all of the snow was melting, I decided to do it on the street so I wouldn't have to slip and slop through mud on the trail. I couldn't believe how difficult those 2.5 miles were. I was exhausted by the end. I didn't run again until yesterday, when I did 4 miles on the trail with 3 walk breaks, and I woke up this morning feeling tired and sore.

I think that running in the snow last week was rough on my ankles and lower legs. Feeling sore is natural, but I'm going to be very careful because I still might be in danger of inflaming/bringing back my shin splints. I've been icing after my runs, but I'm going to ice throughout the day as well, as a precaution. Ice, ice baby!

No comments: