Monday, November 2, 2009

Good weekend

I may not have any medals to show off for running achievements (I would have gotten one at a race in June, but I had to leave to go to a wedding before the awards ceremony started), but I can now display a trophy for best Halloween costume!

The support staff and I were Gilligan and Maryanne from Gilligan's Island. Some friends of ours have a big party every year, and since we were colossal disappointments last year when we showed up without costumes, we decided to be more festive this year. We put together our outfits with some clothes we already had, with the addition of a sailor hat and a red shirt. I was afraid that I wasn't distinctive enough, so we also made life preservers that said "S.S. MINNOW". We had a good time, got a lot of compliments on the costumes, and I won a t-shirt and a snazzy trophy of a skeleton holding its head.

The day before Halloween, I got my bone scan. I'm itching to find out the results, which should be sent to my doctor today or tomorrow, but I won't hear anything until I meet with the doctor during my appointment on the 10th. 8 days and counting...

Yesterday was a good end to the weekend. The support staff and I celebrated our 29 month "anniversary". We ended up helping my parents rake leaves for most of the time that we hung out, which is not the most romantic activity, but it was a special day nonetheless. It was also the day of the New York City Marathon, which I got pretty excited about. I tuned in to the tv coverage when the runners were in the last 5 or 10K of the race and watched the re-cap from the rest. I was so excited to see an American win 1st for the men! I was rooting for Ryan Hall, mainly because I felt bad that the cover of last month's Runner's World said: "He's special. But will he ever win?" I kind of wanted to see him win just because of that, but I was not disappointed to see Meb Keflezighi on the podium instead. I have to say, though, my favorite part of watching the marathon was a commentator discussing the slowing pace of the women's race: "Something must be wrong. They're running a 5:50 mile. That's pedestrian." Pedestrian? If that's pedestrian, I probably classify as tortoise! It just goes to show how awesome those marathoners are. :-)

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Halloween!

No comments: